HELP! My Computer is so Slow! What to Do?
Adam Parnala | On 02, Jun 2012
Many computer users tend to experience a sudden slowdown in their PC’s performance and often looks for ways on how to speed up computer after an extended period of usage. A lot of them, who doesn’t mind cleaning up their system, then pays off in the form of poor performance. As a result, they will become unproductive in their tasks and oftentimes just end up getting pissed off when loading takes too long. This will then lead you to search some ways on how to speed up your computer.
Ok, enough with the introduction. I will give you some very simple tips on how you can further improve your computer’s speed to at least 30%-40% better (or more). However, this depends entirely on how often your files were cleaned. If you haven’t done it for a long time, this will definitely give you a big burst. Let’s start.
Is your Computer’s start-up slow?
Actually, this is not a secret but I will just point this one out for those who doesn’t know. The main part of that prolonged start-up is the presence of the unwanted programs that automatically runs in the background every boot-up. Surprise? Yes, there were some that’s actually running without your permission. So to address that, we will remove those unneeded ones. First, let’s check them if it is overloaded.
- Press ESC+SHFT+CTRL altogether to launch the Task Manager.
- Head over to the Performance Tab then see if your performance usage is near or over your RAM.
Now, we can now see if it’s overloaded. If the performance usage is too high, it is undeniably the main reason for the sluggish start-up. How to solve it? Look at the steps below.
- Click start > Run.
- Type msconfig then hit Enter (For Windows Vista and Windows 7 users, you can simply enter msconfig in the Start Search Box instead).
- See the Start up tab.
- Now, you will see the list of programs that automatically run during your boot-up.
- Choose the programs you don’t need and remove them by unchecking the boxes beside them.
- Once you’ve finished choosing, tick the Apply button followed by the Ok button.
- After you close the system utility, you will be then prompted to restart your computer. Restart.
Alright, so the boot problem is now resolved. But what about its whole performance? Of course there’s another solution.
Don’t keep what you don’t NEED
Too many programs installed in a computer will clog up the system and in turn will make your PC slower. Although it is not the main culprit, it has a big effect. Hence, remove your rarely used programs to give space to the frequently used softwares. To do so, do the following.
- Click Start then go to Control Panel.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- You will then see all the programs installed in your computer. It also has a status indicator on which you can see if it’s frequently used or rarely used.
- Select the programs you don’t use and uninstall it.
- After that, you may be prompted to restart your computer again.
So, are we finished yet? Not yet! A word of advice, if you’re experiencing a slow performance of an app – try an older version of it because oftentimes as new features were added, the system requirement goes up as well. Now that we’ve removed the unnecessary programs, we have to clean it up.
- Go to My Computer > Local Disk(s). Right click on it and select Properties.
- Click Disk Cleanup.
- Local Disk > Properties > Tools. Select Error-checking then check the two boxes (it may tell you that you need to restart your computer first before it can be done).
- Local > Properties > Tools. Now, click on the Defragment then select Defragment!
Wait for it to complete and you’re done! Remember: the results will vary depending on your computer but I can guarantee you that it did the job for me. These are just some of the basic things that you can do to help your device out. Cleaning PC’s files is always being overlooked by many but it is one of the key to a cool and worry free PC experience. I hope I helped you on how to speed up computer.
Did I missed anything or do you have something to add? Kindly share them below in the comment box so we can impart more knowledge about the topic.