Facebook Eyeing to Create its Own Smartphone, Report Claims
By Adam Parnala | Published 8:11 AM, Jun 01, 2012
Rumors were quickly spreading through out the web that Facebook might release their very own smartphone as early as next year. The rumors were supported by the continuous hiring by Facebook of highly experienced software and hardware engineers in the mobile industry. It also includes more than half a dozen of former Apple engineers that previously worked in the development of the iPhone and iPad.
The project was allegedly called as “Project Buffy” which reports also said that existed as early as 2 years ago and was revived again last year. There were reports last year that Facebook was working with HTC for the project but the talks burned out just like the first attempt because of some difficulties they encountered in the process.
The claims were gathered from anonymous Facebook employees that stated these possible developments but ought not to reveal their identities. According to them, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg was worried that Facebook might only stay as an app across different platforms and the idea of being outgrown will definitely be in question. The prominent clues about the possible smartphone can also be sighted with their recent acquisition of the billion dollar Instagram, launch of their own camera app, and the rumored issue of buying Opera.
Is Facebook going crazy? Not really. I believe this move was an answer to the same thing that Google did in their expansion – especially their latest acquisition, Motorola. In case the plan woudn’t go as expected, reports also say that Facebook might buy either RIM or HTC. RIM’s estimated worth is no more than $6 Billion while HTC is about $11 billion.
Facebook is really a very huge and wealthy company given their current status and popularity but honestly – I think they were going way over their heads with these sudden drastic actions.
- HTC First: Is this the Facebook phone? Image leaked ahead of launch!
- How do Social Networking Sites Affect Students?
- Facebook to implement threaded commenting on Facebook pages
- More Nokia Normandy sightings show engineering prototype, app launcher
- Facebook Newsfeed Redesign Coming Soon, Highlights Multiple Newsfeeds
Looking for something? Search it!
- Starmobile Play Max and Play Plus affordable Marshmallow smartphones announced
- Kata Drive is the “most powerful tablet for drivers”
- Cherry Mobile Fusion Aura Play: Digital TV, Quad-core CPU, only Php2,499
- Meizu MX6 with Helio X20, 4GB RAM, and Flyme OS now official
- Cherry Mobile Flare HD 2: 5-inch HD Display, Quad-core CPU, only Php2,999
- ZTE Small Fresh 4: 5.2-inch Display, Octa-core CPU, Android Marshmallow
- Lenovo Vibe A: 4-inch Display, 512MB RAM, Android 5.1 Lollipop
- Smart launches Smart Life mobile app with Perks, Videos, Music, and Games
- Cherry Mobile J2: 5-inch HD Display, Quad-core CPU, Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- Cherry Mobile Flash now official
- Cherry Mobile Flare XL 2.0 Review
- Cubix Cube 3 Review
- Cherry Mobile Alpha Prime 5 Review
- O+ NotePad 4G Intellipen Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 6.0 Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Review – After the hype
- O+ Duo Review: Dual OS Windows and Android device
- Cherry Mobile Flare Selfie Review
- O+ Xfinit Review
- Torque Ego Phab 3G First Impressions: An All in One Call and Text Tablet Guaranteed to Fit Your Budget!