Facebook Eyeing to Create its Own Smartphone, Report Claims
Adam Parnala | On 01, Jun 2012
Rumors were quickly spreading through out the web that Facebook might release their very own smartphone as early as next year. The rumors were supported by the continuous hiring by Facebook of highly experienced software and hardware engineers in the mobile industry. It also includes more than half a dozen of former Apple engineers that previously worked in the development of the iPhone and iPad.
The project was allegedly called as “Project Buffy” which reports also said that existed as early as 2 years ago and was revived again last year. There were reports last year that Facebook was working with HTC for the project but the talks burned out just like the first attempt because of some difficulties they encountered in the process.
The claims were gathered from anonymous Facebook employees that stated these possible developments but ought not to reveal their identities. According to them, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg was worried that Facebook might only stay as an app across different platforms and the idea of being outgrown will definitely be in question. The prominent clues about the possible smartphone can also be sighted with their recent acquisition of the billion dollar Instagram, launch of their own camera app, and the rumored issue of buying Opera.
Is Facebook going crazy? Not really. I believe this move was an answer to the same thing that Google did in their expansion – especially their latest acquisition, Motorola. In case the plan woudn’t go as expected, reports also say that Facebook might buy either RIM or HTC. RIM’s estimated worth is no more than $6 Billion while HTC is about $11 billion.
Facebook is really a very huge and wealthy company given their current status and popularity but honestly – I think they were going way over their heads with these sudden drastic actions.
- HTC First: Is this the Facebook phone? Image leaked ahead of launch!
- How do Social Networking Sites Affect Students?
- More Nokia Normandy sightings show engineering prototype, app launcher
- Facebook to implement threaded commenting on Facebook pages
- Facebook Newsfeed Redesign Coming Soon, Highlights Multiple Newsfeeds
Looking for something? Search it!
- The SKK Mobile Phoenix X1 Features Octa-core CPU at Php5,499!
- Xiaomi MIUI 6 is ‘visually stunning, stunningly simple’
- Samsung Galaxy S5 4G+ has LTE-A support, Snapdragon 805, 1080p display
- Xiaomi Mi Power Bank, Mi3 accessories to start selling on August 29
- Cherry Mobile Flare S3: Better Than the Flare 3 for the Same Price?
- Starmobile’s early X-mas promo drops prices for 9 mobile devices
- HTC One M8 Windows Version!
- Sony Xperia M2 Aqua – Excellent Protection for an Excellent Price
- LG G Pad 8.0 LTE announced
- The GooPhone N4 Clones the Galaxy Note 4 Before It’s Even Announced!