Facebook Eyeing to Create its Own Smartphone, Report Claims
Adam Parnala | On 01, Jun 2012
Rumors were quickly spreading through out the web that Facebook might release their very own smartphone as early as next year. The rumors were supported by the continuous hiring by Facebook of highly experienced software and hardware engineers in the mobile industry. It also includes more than half a dozen of former Apple engineers that previously worked in the development of the iPhone and iPad.
The project was allegedly called as “Project Buffy” which reports also said that existed as early as 2 years ago and was revived again last year. There were reports last year that Facebook was working with HTC for the project but the talks burned out just like the first attempt because of some difficulties they encountered in the process.
The claims were gathered from anonymous Facebook employees that stated these possible developments but ought not to reveal their identities. According to them, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg was worried that Facebook might only stay as an app across different platforms and the idea of being outgrown will definitely be in question. The prominent clues about the possible smartphone can also be sighted with their recent acquisition of the billion dollar Instagram, launch of their own camera app, and the rumored issue of buying Opera.
Is Facebook going crazy? Not really. I believe this move was an answer to the same thing that Google did in their expansion – especially their latest acquisition, Motorola. In case the plan woudn’t go as expected, reports also say that Facebook might buy either RIM or HTC. RIM’s estimated worth is no more than $6 Billion while HTC is about $11 billion.
Facebook is really a very huge and wealthy company given their current status and popularity but honestly – I think they were going way over their heads with these sudden drastic actions.
- HTC First: Is this the Facebook phone? Image leaked ahead of launch!
- How do Social Networking Sites Affect Students?
- More Nokia Normandy sightings show engineering prototype, app launcher
- Facebook to implement threaded commenting on Facebook pages
- Facebook Newsfeed Redesign Coming Soon, Highlights Multiple Newsfeeds
Looking for something? Search it!
- Cherry Mobile Flare Lite now official: Dual-Core CPU, Android Kitkat for Php2,699
- Huawei Ascend Mate 7 Launches Officially in the Philippines
- Gionee CTRL V4S now available in the Philippines for Php6,999
- Corning Gorilla Glass 4 Announced!
- Meizu MX4 Pro: “2k+” 5.5-inch Display, Samsung Octa-core CPU, and “Retina Sound”
- Cherry Mobile Ace: First Firefox OS Smartphone in the Philippines and SEA
- Starmobile Knight X now official: 2GHz Octa-core CPU, 3GB RAM, Dual-LTE, and NFC
- O+ Grande announced: 6-inch Display, Quad-core CPU, Android 4.4 Kitkat
- Nokia Announces the N1: An Android-based Tablet!
- Prynt Case: Portable printer for your smartphone