Fairphone is a tech brand known for creating products made of sustainable materials. Their latest release, the Fairphone 4, proves that eco-friendly devices can compete in the cut-throat midrange segment.
The Fairphone 4 is created using recycled materials, fairtrade gold, and ethically sourced lithium and cobalt. Besides the environment, users will also benefit from its 9.2/10 repairability score based on French Repairability Index.
Having high repairability is crucial for an eco-friendly product. If something gets broken, you can repair individual parts on your own without having to purchase a completely new smartphone. It also comes with a 5-year warranty.
You can purchase a battery module for EUR29.95 (around Php1,800), dual rear cameras for EUR79.95 (around Php4,700), and a front-facing camera for EUR29.95 (around Php1,800). Besides hardware, Fairphone also promises two years of major Android updates and software support until 2025.
Unlike most sustainable products, this thing is actually durable. It has IP54 water and dust protection rating and is MIL810GSTD certified for drop protection.
The rest of the specs and features are decent for a midrange phone. It has a 6.3-inch FHD+ screen, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 750G 5G processor, 48-megapixel main camera with optical image stabilization, and a 3,905mAh battery with 20W fast charging.
Select markets in Europe can get the Fairphone 4 with 6GB/128GB for EUR579 (around Php34,100) and 8GB/256GB for EUR649 (around Php38,300). It comes in three colors, with the special Speckled Green variant exclusive to the top-tier model.
Fairphone 4 specs
- Android 11
- Dual SIM, Dual standby
- 6.3-inch FHD+ IPS display, 2340 x 1080 pixel resolution, 409ppi
- 2.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 750G octa-core processor
- 6GB/8GB RAM
- Adreno 619 GPU
- 128GB/256GB internal storage, expandable via microSD
- 25-megapixel front camera, f/2.2
- 48-megapixel (f/1.6, PDAF, OIS) + 48-megapixel (f/2.2, ultra-wide) + ToF rear cameras, dual-tone flash
- Rear-mounted fingerprint scanner, Face unlock
- No headphone jack
- HSPA+, 4G LTE, 5G
- WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band
- Bluetooth 5.1
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- USB Type-C
- Dimensions: 162 x 75.5 x 10.5mm
- Weight: 225g
- Colors: Gray, Green, Speckled Green
- Made of eco-friendly, sustainable materials
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5 front
- 3,905mAh non-removable battery, 20W fast charging