LG has officially unveiled the LG V40 ThinQ, the first-ever smartphone capable of taking an ultra wide-angle or zoom in shot made possible by its triple camera setup on the back.
The three lenses have different specifications and purposes. There’s the 107° ultra wide sensor, 45° telephoto, and 78° main lens. This configuration gives the LG V40 ThinQ the ability to do 3x worth of optical zoom.
A 12-megapixel sensor with 1.4µm pixels and Optical Image Stabilization is the star of the show, plus it has a better f/1.5 aperture for improved low-light shots. In addition, LG also equipped it with Dual Pixel autofocus — a first for the company.
The 12-megapixel telephoto f/2.4 lens handles all the zoom in tasks while the 16-megapixel ultra wide-angel sensor was the same as the G7. All cameras have digital image stabilization and HDR built-in for video recording. It can shoot a crispy 4K at 60fps video and 1080p 240fps for slow-motion clips.
The LG V40 ThinQ has a 6.4-inch FullVision OLED 19.5:9 aspect ratio screen with QHD+ resolution and HDR10 support. Unfortunately, it has a notch just like most Android smartphones today. Since it’s a flagship smartphone, it’s IP68 and MIL-STB-810G certified.
Even though Android 9 Pie was already out for a couple of months, the LG V40 ThinQ still runs Android 8.1 Oreo out of the box with the company’s proprietary launcher on top. Powering the device is a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor and 6GB of RAM. Storage is limited to 64GB, but thankfully it has micro SD card expansion.
LG V40 ThinQ Specs
- Android 8.1 Oreo, LG UX 7.0+
- Single SIM, nano format
- 6.4-inch FullVision P-OLED Gorilla Glass 5 Display, 3120 x 1440 pixel resolution, ~537ppi
- 2.7GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor
- Adreno 630 GPU
- 6GB RAM
- 64GB internal storage, expandable via microSD up to 512GB
- 3G, HSPA+, LTE
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi hotspot
- 12-megapixel (main) + 12-megapixel (telephoto) + 16-megapixel (ultra wide) rear cameras, LED flash
- 8-megapixel (primary) + 5-megapixel (wide) front cameras
- Bluetooth 5.0
- 32-bit/192kHz audio
- USB Type-C
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS
- Dimensions: 158.8 x 75.7 x 7.6 mm
- Weight: 169
- Colors: Moroccan Blue, Aurora Black
- 3,300mAh non-removable battery, fast wireless charging, Quick Charge 3.0
LG V40 ThinQ will be released in the US beginning the 18th of October. Price starts at $900 (~Php49,000). No information yet regarding its pricing and availability in the Philippines.