Samsung has launched the Galaxy Z Fold 5. Those who are coming from Z Fold 4 might not have a reason the care since this year’s model is only a refinement of the last generation — and that’s something we really appreciate despite the lack of flare.
With the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5, Samsung basically polished the Z Fold 4 by fixing some of its quirks. For one, it has a new hinge design that allows it to fully close, with no more annoying gaps. This also made the device thinner and lighter.
Still, the Z Fold 5 has an Armor Aluminum frame and Gorilla Glass Victus 2 for durability. It’s also IPX8 water-resistant.
The displays are also the same. We have a 6.2-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X cover screen with a 48Hz-120Hz adaptive refresh rate. The foldable one uses a large 7.6-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2x panel with 1Hz-120Hz adaptive refresh rate. The main panel did get 30% brighter.
It also retains a similar camera setup with a 50-megapixel main shooter, 12-megapixel ultra-wide, 10-megapixel 3x telephoto, 10-megapixel on the cover display, and a 4-megapixel under-display shooter on the main panel.
Of course, the 2023 model uses the current-best CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 for Galaxy, which is the same one found on the Galaxy S23 series and the also-new Galaxy Z Flip 5.
Same as last year’s, the Galaxy Z Fold 5 has a 4,400mAh battery with 25W wired and 15W wireless charging.
Samsung is also launching it alongside the new S Pen Fold Edition which offers a slimmer and more compact design. It can be had with a special Slim S Pen Case that can protect both it and the device itself.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 has a price of Php98,990 for the 12GB/256GB model, Php105,990 for the 12GB/512GB, and Php119,990 for the 12GB/1TB. Pre-orders from July 26 until August 17 are eligible for discounts of up to Php43,000. It’s available on Samsung Experience Stores, authorized stores, MemoXpress, Shopee, Lazada, and Abenson.com.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 Specs
- Android 13, One UI 5.1
- Dual SIM, Dual standby
- 7.6-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2x display, 2176 x 1812 pixel resolution, 373ppi
- 120Hz refresh rate, HDR10+
- 6.2-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2x cover display, 2316 x 904ppi
- 120Hz refresh rate
- Corning Gorilla Glass 2
- 3.36GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 for Galaxy octa-core processor
- 12GB RAM
- Adreno 740 GPU
- 256GB/512GB/1TB UFS 4.0 storage, non-expandable
- 4-megapixel under-display front camera
- 10-megapixel cover display camera
- 50-megapixel (dual-pixel PDAF, OIS, f/1.8) + 12-megapixel (ultra-wide) + 10-megapixel (3x optical zoom, PDAF, OIS) rear cameras, LED flash
- IPX8 water resistant
- Side-mounted fingerprint scanner
- Stereo speakers, AKG-tuned
- S Pen support
- No headphone jack
- HSPA+, 4G LTE, 5G
- WiFi 7, tri-band
- Bluetooth 5.3
- GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- Dimensions: 154.9 x 129.9 x 6.1mm (unfolded) / 154.9 x 67.1 x 13.4mm (folded)
- Weight: 253g
- Colors: Icy Blue, Phantom Black, Cream, Gray, Blue
- 4,400mAh non-removable battery, 25W wired, 15W wireless, Reverse wireless charging