The Xiaomi 12S Ultra has been announced, the brand’s most powerful and feature-packed smartphone to date.
Launched alongside the 12S and 12S Pro, the Xiaomi 12S Ultra boasts many higher-end features to justify its name. For starters, it is one of the firsts to be powered by the latest Snapdragon 8 Plus Gen 1 processor paired to an improved 3D cooling system. It also boasts Xiaomi’s Surge P1 fast-charging and Surge G1 battery chipsets.
The main highlight here are, obviously, the cameras. This marks Xiaomi’s partnership with camera maker Leica, hence the gigantic lens on the back that holds the 50-megapixel shooter that uses an enormous 1-inch IMX 989 sensor.
That camera sits behind an 8P aspheric lens which consists of a cyclic olefin copolymer lens, lend edge ink coating, anti-glare, and IR light filter.
The main camera is joined by two 48-megapixel sensors with ultra-wide and telephoto lenses, respectively. Like what it did in Huawei devices, Leica brought its expertise to how photos are taken. Hence the Leica Authentic Look and Leica Vibrant Look features found on the camera app. Oh, and of course, there’s the Leica Summicron lenses.
Besides the large lens, another design highlight is its eco-friendly silicone leather back panel, which provides that premium look while also being IP68 dust and water-resistant. You can get it in Classic Black or Verdant Green.
The 12S Ultra comes with a special 4,860mAh silicon-oxygen anode battery. It is paired with a 67W wired charging for a 50% charge in only 15 minutes, 50W fast wireless charging, as well as 10W reverse wireless charging for your accessories.
On the front, we have a large 6.73-inch screen that uses the latest E5 LTPO panel, with a sharp WQHD+ pixel resolution, and an adaptive refresh rate of 1Hz to 120Hz. It then ships with the latest Android 12-based MIUI 13 from Xiaomi.
The Xiaomi 12S Ultra has an official price of CNY5,999 (around Php49,800), CNY6,499 (around Php53,400), and CNY6,999 (around Php57,500) for the 8GB/256GB, 12GB/256GB, and 12GB/512GB, respectively. They will be initially available in China while release details globally are yet to be announced.
Xiaomi 12S Ultra Specs
- Android 12, MIUI 13
- Dual SIM, Dual standby
- 6.73-inch WQHD+ E5 LTPO AMOLED display, 3200 x 1440 pixel resolution, 522ppi
- 1Hz-120Hz adaptive refresh rate, 1500-nits peak brightness
- Dolby Vision, HDR10+
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Plus Gen 1 octa-core processor
- 3D cooling system
- Xiaomi Surge P1, Surge G1 chip
- 12GB LPDDR5 RAM
- Adreno 730 GPU
- 512GB UFS 3.1 internal storage
- 32-megapixel front camera, RGBW
- 50-megapixel (1-inch IMX989, octa-PDAF, multi-layer ALD) + 48-megapixel (IMX586, dual-PDAF, ultra-wide/macro) + 48-megapixel (IMX586, 120mm telephoto, OIS, dual-PDAF) rear cameras, LED flash
- HyperOIS, Dolby Vision HDR recording
- Leica Summicron lenses
- Leica Authentic Look, Leica Vibrant Look
- In-display fingerprint scanner, Face unlock
- IP68water and dust resistant
- Stereo speakers, Harman Kardon
- Hi-Res audio, Hi-Res wireless
- HSPA+, 4G LTE, 5G
- WiFi 6, dual-band
- Bluetooth 5.2
- GPS, A-GPS
- IR blaster
- USB Type-C
- Colors: Classic Black, Verdant Green
- 4,860mAh non-removable battery, 67W wired, 50W wireless fast charging, 10W reverse wireless charging