Smart launched a new Voice over WiFi (VoWiFi) service Smart Signature and Smart Infinity postpaid plan subscribers several days ago. It’s not really a new technological feat, but considering that we’re finally getting it in the Philippines, it’s something to be happy about. So, if you’re interested in learning more about it, let us help you out.
What is Voice over WiFi / VoWiFi?
For those who are unfamiliar Voice over WIFI, or VoWiFi technology in general, it allows you to make calls and texts using WiFi.
Don’t confuse it with voice calls and messaging on apps like Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp. With VoWiFi (Wi-Fi calling), you can make calls directly using your phone’s dialer and built-in text messaging app.
What are the benefits of VoWiFi?
- Unlike regular voice calls, VoWiFi is faster with clearer and high-definition audio. Before, you can only have HD clear voice calls by using a separate app. But now, you can do it in your device’s native dialer app. No third-party apps needed.
- It also has better signal reception while you’re at home, since it would be relying on your home WiFi network. No need to scour for cell reception everytime you try to make calls.
- You can also make international calls on this one. Cheaper than regular roaming rates.
How can I use VoWiFi?
- First you must have a Smart LTE SIM.
- Since this is VoWiFi, you need to have steady WiFi connection with at least 100kbps of speed.
- A smartphone that supports WiFi calling (See list of below).
- Make sure your smartphone is updated to the latest software.
- Enable WiFi calling on the settings menu.
- Once you’re set up, you can use your phone’s built-in dialer and messaging app to do calls and texts via WiFi.
Devices with VoWiFi support
Here is the list of smartphones that support Voice over WiFi (as of March 1, 2020).
|iPhone 11 / Pro / Max|
|iPhone XS / XS Maax|
|iPhone 8 / 8 Plus|
|iPhone 7 / 7 Plus|
|Huawei Mate 10|
|Huawei Mate 20 / Pro|
|Huawei Mate P30 / Pro / Lite|
|Samsung Galaxy Z Flip|
|Samsung Galaxy S20 / Plus / Ultra|
|Samsung Galaxy Fold|
|Samsung Galaxy Note 10 / 10 Plus|
|Samsung Galaxy S10 / Plus|
|Samsung Galaxy S10e|
|Samsung Galaxy Note 9|
|Samsung Galaxy S9 / S9 Plus|
|Samsung Galaxy Note 8|
|Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8 Plus|
|Samsung Galaxy A80|
|Samsung Galaxy A71 / A70|
|Samsung Galaxy A50s / A50|
|Samsung Galaxy A30s / A30|
|Samsung Galaxy A10s / A10|
|Samsung Galaxy A01|
How to know if VoWiFi is activated?
You can see a VoWiFi icon next to your signal reception on top of the screen. It’s where the 4G or LTE signs usually rests. It’s really hard to miss. And if you don’t have it, there’s a good chance it’s not yet working for you.
How much does VoWiFi costs?
This feature is not given for free, though. Voice over WiFi (Wi-Fi calling) calls will be charged against your active call or text subscription. But if you don’t have a subscription, regular rates will apply.
Smart VoWiFI service is only currently available in Smart Signature and Smart Infinity Postpaid subscribers. Currently, there’s no information regarding this service for prepaid subscribers.
So, there you have it. That’s pretty much everything you need to know about Voice over WiFi. If you have any questions about VoWiFi, let us know in the comments section below and we’ll gladly help you out.