Google has introduced a cheaper option to its flagship Pixel 6 series with the release of the new Pixel 6a.
Despite being the cheaper option, the performance of the Google Pixel 6a should be similar to the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro since they use the company’s own Tensor chipset. It comes in a single configuration with 6GB of LPDDR5 RAM and 128GB of fast UFS 3.1 storage.
On the front, we have a relatively small 6.1-inch FHD+ screen, which would make it a sound option for Android fans who want a smaller and compact smartphone.
It lacks the 120Hz high refresh rate that its bigger brothers have as it’s stuck with the traditional 60Hz. The protection also took a major beating as it now only has Corning Gorilla Glass 3 instead of Gorilla Glass 3. Still, it boasts a vibrant OLED panel.
We also have an in-display fingerprint scanner and an always-on display feature. The screen is paired with stereo speakers for the best listening experience.
The top has a punch-hole for the 8-megapixel selfie camera. On the back, we have a 12.2-megapixel main camera with a bright f/1.7 aperture, dual-pixel technology, and even optical image stabilization. It’s paired with a 12-megapixel ultra-wide.
Keeping the lights on is a 4,410mAh battery. It may not be the biggest, but thanks to the efficiency brought by the proprietary hardware and software, Google claims it can last for up to 24 hours of regular use and even 72 hours under Extreme Battery Saver mode.
It lacks wireless charging but does come with an 18W Type-C wired charger.
Like its previous releases, the Google Pixel 6a will be officially available in select countries and doesn’t include the Philippines. It has an SRP of USD449 (around Php23,600).
Google Pixel 6a Specs
- Android 12, 5 years software updates
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 6.1-inch FHD+ OLED display, 2400 x 1080 pixel resolution, 429ppi
- Always-on display, HDR, 60Hz refresh rate
- Corning Gorilla Glass 3, 24-bit color
- Google Tensor chip
- Titan M2 security processor
- 6GB LPDDR5 RAM
- 128GB UFS 3.1 internal storage
- 8-megapixel front camera
- 12.2-megapixel (dual-pixel, f1/.7, OIS) + 12-megapixel (ultra-wide, f/2.2) rear cameras, LED flash
- Magic Eraser, Real Tone, Face Unblur
- In-display fingerprint scanner
- Stereo speakers, dual microphones
- HSPA+, 4G LTE, 5G
- WiFi 6E
- Bluetooth 5.2
- GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS
- USB Type-C
- Dimensions: 152.2 x 71.8 x 8.9mm
- Weight: 179g
- Colors: Charcoal, Sage, Chalk
- 4,410mAh non-removable battery, 18W fast charging
The protection also took a major beating as it now only has Corning Gorilla Glass 3 instead of Gorilla Glass 3. I think you meant a higher version of Gorilla glass like Victus?
I would have preferred an LCD display with 120hz than an OLED with 60hz