Motorola beat everyone to the punch by officially launching the first smartphone to feature the latest Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, the Edge X30 and X30 Special Edition.
The Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 is a flagship processor that’s a successor to the Snapdragon 888 Plus. Both the Motorola Edge X30 and X30 Special Edition will use the same chipset. In fact, everything about these devices is the same. Their only key difference is that the latter will boast the latest under-display selfie camera technology.
That said, the duo shares a colorful and fast 6.7-inch OLED panel with a 144Hz refresh rate. They will also use the same ultra-sharp 60-megapixel selfie cameras, only for the vanilla X30, it will be in a punch-hole instead of being underneath the screen.
Around the back, we have a 50-megapixel main shooter from OmniVision. It’s a 1/1.55-inch sensor rigged with optical image stabilization. The ultra-wide lens also has a 50-megapixel sensor, but this time, it’s an ISOCELL S5KGM1 from Samsung. Lastly, there’s the obligatory 2-megapixel depth sensor.
Going back to the chipset, Motorola reveals that the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 offers 20% faster CPU performance and 30% higher GPU scores. What’s interesting is, it has a whopping 400% improvement in terms of AI tasks. The Edge X30 was able to break the 1 million score in the AnTuTu benchmark.
To keep the lights on, the Edge 30 and Edge 30 Special Edition will feature a decent 5,000mAh battery with a fast 68 wired charging. Since it’s a modern phone, it will ship with the Android 12 operating system out of the box.
The Motorola Edge 30 has a starting price of CNY3,199 (around Php25,300) for the 8GB/128GB variant, CNY3,399 (around Php26,900) for the 8GB/256GB, and CNY3,599 (around Php28,500) for the 12GB/256GB. Meanwhile, the Motorola Edge X30 Special Edition will be at CNY3,999 (around Php31,600).
Motorola Edge X30 and X30 Special Edition Specs
- Android 12, MyUI 3.0
- Dual SIM, Dual standby
- 6.8-inch FHD+ OLED display, 2400 x 1080 pixel resolution, 387ppi
- 144Hz refresh rate, HDR10+, 10-bit color
- 3.0GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 octa-core processor
- 8GB/12GB LPDDR5 RAM
- Adreno GPU
- 128GB/256GB UFS 3.1 internal storage, non-expandable
- 60-megapixel front camera, Punch-hole (X30) / Under-display (X30 Special Edition)
- 50-megapixel (OV50A,f/1.9, OIS) + 50-megapixel (S5KGM1, ultra-wide) + 2-megapixel (depth sensor) rear cameras, quad-PDAF, dual-LED flash
- Stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos
- Side-mounted fingerprint scanner
- HSPA+, 4G LTE, 5G
- WiFi 6, dual-band
- Bluetooth 5.2
- dual-band GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- USB Type-C
- Dimensions: 163.6 x 75.6 x 8.5mm
- Weight: 194g
- Colors: White, Black
- 5,000mAh non-removable battery, 68W wired fast charging