OPPO just came up with a new smartphone, the OPPO A17. It has a lot of familiar features for an entry-level phone, but tries to set itself apart from the rest by having a pretty interesting design.
The OPPO A17 has a clean back design from the two large circles that holds the main 50-megapixel camera, an obligatory secondary sensor, and LED flash to the faux leather textured rear panel that both looks and feels premium.
You can get the device in two colors: Midnight Black for a more subtle look, and the more interesting one, Lake Blue. The device is not the thinnest at 8.29mm and not the lightest at 189g, but it should still be compact enough.
As a cherry on top, the A17 is IPX4 water resistant to keep it safe from accidental water splashes.
But then again, it is still an entry-level smartphone. That said, it only has an HD+ pixel resolution and standard 60Hz refresh rate for its 6.56-inch screen.
Under the hood, it is powered by a MediaTek Helio G35 octa-core processor, paired with 4GB of RAM and decent 64GB of expandable storage.
Possibly its biggest downside is that it still utilizes a microUSB port instead of the current standard, USB Type-C. Thankfully, it has the same 5,000mAh battery like everyone else.
Of course, being a 2022 smartphone, it runs on the latest Android 12 operating system with OPPO’s ColorOS 12.1 on top.
The OPPO A17 is now available in Malaysia for a price of MYR599 (around Php7,700). Release details in markets like the Philippines are yet to be known.
OPPO A17 Specs
- Android 12, ColorOS 12.1
- Dual SIM, Dual standby
- 6.56-inch HD+ IPS display, 1612 x 720 pixel resolution, 269ppi
- 60Hz refresh rate
- 2.3GHz MediaTek Helio G35 octa-core processor
- 4GB RAM
- IMG PowerVR GE8320 GPU
- 64GB internal storage, expandable via microSD
- 5-megapixel front camera
- 50-megapixel (f/1.8, PDAF) + 2-megapixel (depth sensor) rear cameras, LED flash
- Side-mounted fingerprint scanner, Face unlock
- Single loudspeaker, Headphone jack
- HSPA+, 4G LTE
- WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band
- GPS, A-GPS
- FM radio
- Dimensions: 164.2 x 75.6 x 8.3mm
- Weight: 189g
- Colors: Lake Blue, Midnight Black
- 5,000mAh non-removable battery