Xiaomi has another budget-conscious gaming smartphone with the release of the Redmi K50i 5G.
The Redmi K50i 5G is all about speed. It comes with a 6.6-inch screen with a fast 144Hz refresh rate that’s adaptive so it dials down when needed to save battery. But since it is an affordable device, it only has an LCD panel instead of AMOLED.
But, do not small-time this screen, as this panel has Fringe Field Switching (FFS). It is also the first Redmi smartphone to have Dolby Vision. Plus, it is protected by a sturdy Corning Gorilla Glass 5.
A pair of speakers handle the audio in a stereo setup, complete with Dolby Atmos support.
Under the hood, the K50i 5G is powered by a MediaTek Dimensity 8100 octa-core processor that was built from an efficient 5nm process.
The chip is paired with a fast LPDDR5 storage, UFS 3.1 memory, and LiquidCool 2.0 technology to keep the temps down.
Around the back we have a standard set of cameras led by a sharp 64-megapixel main shooter. Below it is the 8-megapixel ultra-wide lens. There’s also the obligatory 2-megapixel macro lens.
A punch-hole on the top of the screen house the 16-megapixel main camera.
Power is supplied by the big 5,080mAh battery, which can be used by the impressive 67W fast charger. Xiaomi claims a quick 15-minute top-up can already provide a full day’s use.
Of course, the device will run on the latest Android 12 operating system with Xiaomi’s new MIUI 13 interface on top.
The Redmi K50i 5G has a starting price of INR25,999 (around Php18,300) for the 6GB/128GB model. There’s also the 8GB/128GB variant for INR28,999 (around Php20,400). They will be available in India starting July 23 while release details in the Philippines are yet to be known.
Redmi K50i 5G Specs
- Android 12, MIUI 13
- Dual SIM, Dual standby
- 6.6-inch FHD+ LCD display, 2460 x 1080 pixel resolution, 407ppi
- 144Hz dynamic refresh rate, 270Hz touch sampling rate
- Adaptive Colour, HDR10, Dolby Vision, DC Dimming
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Mediatek Dimensity 8100 5nm octa-core processor
- Liquid Cool Technology 2.0
- 6GB/8GB LPDDR5 RAM
- Mali-G610 MC6 GPU
- 128GB/256GB UFS 3.1 internal storage
- 16-megapixel front camera
- 64-megapixel (f/1.9) + 8-megapixel (ultra-wide, f/2.2) + 2-megapixel (macro) rear cameras, LED flash
- Stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos
- Hi-Res audio, Hi-Res wireless
- Side-mounted fingerprint scanner, Face unlock
- X-axis linear motor
- HSPA+, 4G LTE, 5G
- WiFi 6, dual-band
- Bluetooth 5.3
- GPS, GALILEO, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- IR blaster
- USB Type-C
- Dimensions: 163.64 x 74.29 x 8.87mm
- Weight: 200g
- Colors: Stealth Black, Quick Silver, Phantom Blue
- 5,080mAh non-removable battery, 67W turbo charging