No, the era of gaming smartphone is not just a phase. These aggressively-designed, ultra-powerful smartphones are here to stay, as confirmed by the new Xiaomi Black Shark 2.
Other than the obvious hardware improvements, the Xiaomi Black Shark 2 offers a lot of major improvements in the display department over its predecessor.
It has a 6.39-inch FHD+ AMOLED screen from Samsung that has a built-in fingerprint scanner and pressure sensitivity. This new feature, which Xiaomi is calling ‘Magic Press’, can be used as extra controls in games as it enables remappable actions once you press harder on the screen.
Speaking of games, the display is also relatively fast with a 43.5ms response time. It also s a DCI-P3 coverage and HDR compatibility. It even has four ambient color sensors that transmit signals to a dedicated processor that adjusts the screen’s color to match your environment.
To complete the overall entertainment experience, the Black Shark 2 also has stereo front-facing speakers to cover the audio department.
As expected, the device is powered by the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor, and will be available in 6GB/128GB, 8GB/128GB, 8GB/256GB, and a whopping 12GB/256GB memory and storage configurations.
To fully utilize its potential, the Xiaomi Black Shark 2 brags an enormous vapor cooling system dubbed as the Liquid Cool 3.0. This allows the device to go ‘Ludicrous Mode’, which utilizes the new cooling system and AI to optimize the chipset, charging, and network speed when gaming.
Xiaomi also included a decent 4,000mAh battery with a 27W fast-charging technology.
Xiaomi Black Shark 2 Specs
- Android 9 Pie, Black Shark OS
- Dual SIM
- 6.39-inch FHD+ AMOLED display, 2340 x 1080 pixel resolution, ~403ppi
- Magic Press pressure sensitive screen, DCI-P3 108.9%, 43.5ms
- 2.84GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 octa-core processor
- Liquid Cool 3.0 vapor chamber cooling system
- 6GB/8GB/12GB RAM
- Adreno 640 GPU
- 128GB/256GB internal storage, non-expandable
- 20-megapixel front camera, f/2.0
- 48-megapixel (f/1.8) + 12-megapixel (2x optical zoom) dual rear cameras, PDAF, LED flash
- In-display fingerprint scanner, Face unlock
- Stereo speakers
- 4G LTE
- WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, 4×4 MiMo
- Bluetooth 5.0
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- USB Type-C
- Dimensions: 163.61 x 75 x 8.77mm
- Weight: 205g
- Colors: Shadow Black, Frozen Silver
- 4,000mAh non-removable battery, Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+, 27W fast charging
The Xiaomi Black Shark 2 is available in China for CNY3,199 (~Php25,200) for the 6GB/128GB model, CNY3,499 (~Php27,500) for the 8GB/128GB, CNY3,799 (~Php29,900) for the 8GB/256GB, while the 12GB/258GB variant will cost you CNY4,199 (~Php33,000).
It’s now available in China, and hopefully, it will finally make its way officially in the Philippines, unlike its older brothers.