Skilled esports players with college aspirations now have a new path to attaining higher education via an esports merit scholarship program.
Claimed to be the first of its kind in the Philippines, the esports scholarship program by Globe Telecom and Esports AcadArena provides recipients with grants reaching ₱50,000 along with 25% to 100% tuition coverage.
To be eligible, students need to be a part of the AcadArena’s Alliance Program, a student org support system for schools. Currently, thirteen student organizations from well-known universities (such as Ateneo de Manila University, De La Salle University, and University of the Philippines-Diliman) have Alliance accreditation.
Scholarship recipients are also chosen among students based on merit, including good character and performance. Players of good character who qualified in official AcadArena tournaments may also be eligible. More guidelines on eligibility will be announced at a later date.
Besides the scholarship, the Alliance Program provides accredited student organizations and its members with support for monthly tournaments and access to esports leagues and collegiate competitions. The program also encompasses multiple games from various genres, including Hearthstone, League of Legends, Mobile Legends: Bang Bang, and Valorant.
List of schools with esports scholarship in the Philippines
- Mapua Gaming Society (Mapua University)
- Valiant Esports (Holy Angel University)
- Warriors’ Arena (University of San Carlos)
- TUP Gear (Technological University of the Philippines)
- Viridis Arcus (De La Salle University)
- Haribons (Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila)
- Golden Lions (Central Philippine University)
- Teletigers (University of Sto. Tomas)
- Loyola Gaming Esports (Ateneo de Manila University)
- FIT iTamaraws (Far Eastern University-Institute of Technology)
- Malayan Esports Club (Malayan Colleges Laguna)
- San Agustin Golden Eagles (University of San Agustin)
- Oblation Esports (University of the Philippines-Diliman)