Entry-level smartphones used to be lame and unexciting, but not until they started having really large batteries and other great features. The new Alcatel 5V is just that, this device boasts some humble specs, but comes with a power-packed battery that it can brag about.
Right off the surface, the Alcatel 5V seems to bring uneventful news. The device only has a MediaTek Helio P22 octa-core processor, 3GB of RAM, and 32GB of storage.
The display is large enough at 6.2-inches but only has an HD+ resolution. On the upside, it does have ultra-thin bezels with a chunky notch on top.
It was able to make up for those shortcomings by rocking a large 4,000mAh battery. And considering the underpowered hardware that it needs to juice up, the battery on this device can easily last you for a day or two of use.
Surprisingly, the handset comes with an interesting set of cameras. There’s a 12-megapixel camera on the back that’s packed with AI-accelerated features. Plus, there’s a secondary 2-megapixel sensor to make the Portrait Mode deliver more believable results. An 8-megapixel camera can be found on the front for taking selfies.
Moreover, it is hard not to notice its attractive design. The official renders clearly showcases its minimalistic, but striking design. The back is wrapped with a glossy finish, while the front is guarded by a 2.5D Dragontrail glass.
Alcatel 5V Specs
- Android 8.1 Oreo
- Single SIM
- 6.2-inch HD+ IPS display, 1500 x 720 pixel resolution, ~268ppi
- 19:9 aspect ratio, Dragontrail glass
- 1.5GHz MediaTek Helio P22 octa-core processor
- 3GB RAM
- IMG PowerVR GE8320
- 32GB internal storage, expandable via microSD up to 128GB
- 8-megapixel front camera, f/2.8
- 12-megapixel + 2-megapixel dual rear cameras, f/2.2, dual-tone flash
- AI Scene Detection, Burst shot, EIS, HDR, Portrait Mode
- Fingerprint scanner
- HSPA+, 4G LTE
- WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, WiFi hotspot, WiFi direct
- Bluetooth 4.0
- GPS, A-GPS
- microUSB 2.0
- Dimensions: 153.7 x 74.55 x 8.5mm
- 4,000mAh battery
As per TCL, the current owner of Alcatel, the 5V will be available in select markets this July. It comes with a retail price of only USD199.99 (~Php10,700).