The ASUS ROG Phone 3 has been unveiled as the latest of the company’s gaming smartphones.
Dimensions of the new model are almost the same as the ROG Phone 2 launched last year, but with some level of hardware upgrades. The ASUS ROG Phone 3 is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Plus SoC, with GameCool 3 heat dissipating system that has a larger graphite film and a redesigned copper 3D vapor chamber. A Strix Edtion is also available, which comes with the non-Plus Snapdragon 865 processor.
Another new feature is the AirTrigger 3 ultrasonic buttons, which can now simulate L1/L2 and R1/R2, take slide gestures, swipes, and finger resting.
It also has dual front-firing speakers. To reduce the surface temperature by up to 4-degree Celsius, the ROG Phone 3 is equipped with a clip-on AeroActive Cooler 3 accessory, with a kickstand and a built-in fan.
The ASUS ROG Phone 3 runs on Android 10 and on top is ROG UI. It sports a 5.9-inch FHD+ AMOLED display, 1080 x 2340 pixels resolution, 270Hz touch sampling rate, 144Hz refresh rate and HDR10+ support. A fast and smooth screen, great for gaming devices like this.
On the display is a 2.5D Corning Gorilla Glass 6, a TUV Low Blue Light solution, and a Flicker Reduction-certified technology.
The ROG Phone 3 has a triple rear camera setup which includes a 64-megapixel Sony IMX686 main camera with f/1.8 lens. There is also a 13-megapixel secondary camera with an ultra-wide-angle lens, and a 5-megapixel tertiary camera with a macro lens of f/2.0.
That’s one of the main upgrades over ROG Phone 2, which had a 48-megapixel primary camera and a 13-megapixel wide-angle camera.
There’s also a 24-megapixel selfie camera with f/2.0 lens at the front of the ROG Phone 3. The phone supports up to 4K video recording through the rear camera and up to 1080p videos from the front camera. Keeping the lights on is a 6,000mAh battery with 30W fast charging support.
ASUS ROG Phone 3 Specs
- Android 10, ROG UI
- Dual SIM
- 6.59-inch FHD+ AMOLED display, 2340 x 1080 pixel resolution, 391ppi
- 10-bit, HDR10+, DCI-P3, NTSC, sRGB
- TÜV Low Blue Light and Flicker Reduced certification
- 144Hz refresh rate, Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- 3.1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Plus octa-core processor
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 octa-core processor (Strix Edition)
- 12GB/16GB RAM, 8GB RAM (Strix Edition)
- Adreno 650 GPU
- 256GB/512GB internal storage
- 24-megapixel front camera
- 64-megapixel (f/1.7, Quad Bayer, PDAF) + 13-megapixel (ultra-wide, 125-degree) + 5-megapixel (macro) rear cameras
- [email protected], [email protected] slow-mo
- AirTrigger 3
- Stereo speakers, Hi-Res audio, Quad microphones
- HSPA+, 4G LTE
- WiFi 6
- Bluetooth 5.1
- Dual-band GPS, GGNSS, GLONASS, Galileo, BDS, QZSS, NavIC
- USB Type-C
- Dimensions: 171 x 78 x 9.85mm
- Weight: 240g
- Color: Black Glare
- 6,000mAh non-removable battery, 30W fast charging
Update 08/15/20: The ASUS ROG Phone 3 has a price of Php54,995 for the 16GB/512GB variant, Php49,995 for the 12GB/512GB, while the ROG Phone 3 Strix Edition with 8GB/256GB config will retail for Php39,995.
The price of the ASUS ROG Phone 3 has a price of EUR999 (around Php57,100) for the 12GB/512GB model, while the 16GB/512GB variant will be at EUR1,099 (around Php62,800).
Meanwhile, the ROG Phone 3 Strix Edition with a non-Plus Snapdragon 865 and 8GB/256GB configuration will be at EUR799 (around Php45,700). It will compete with the also-new Lenovo Legion Phone Duel.
Both models come bundled with an Aero case, while the top-end model has the AeroActive Cooler 3 accessory included. It will go on sale this August in select markets, while its pricing and availability here in the Philippines is yet to be announced.