Gionee has been relatively quite for the last couple of months. But today, the company launched a new smartphone in China – the Gionee S9.
It’s a mid-range handset with lots of similarities with the S8, particularly in the screen and processor department. The Gionee S9 has a 5.5-inch 1080p LCD – a change of heart from the AMOLED of the previous model. MediaTek’s Helio P10 chipset is still at the helm, together with the unmodified 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage.
Probably the most noticeable difference is in the camera. The S9 joins the dual camera setup party with a combination of 13-megapixel and 5-megapixel sensors to produce great depth of field effects. In front, there’s a 13-megapixel camera for selfies.
Gionee S9 Specs
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow, Amigo 3.5
- Dual SIM, Dual Standby (Hybrid)
- 5.5-inch Full HD LTPS IPS 2.5D Corning Gorilla Glass 4 Display, 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution
- 2.0GHz MediaTek MT6755 Helio P10 octa-core processor
- Mali-T860 MP2 GPU
- 4GB RAM
- 64GB internal storage, expandable up to 128GB via microSD
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
- 4G, LTE
- 13-megapixe+ 5-megapixel rear cameras with phase detection autofocus and LED flash
- 13-megapixel front camera with LED flash
- Fingerprint scanner
- GPS, A-GPS
- Bluetooth 4.0
- FM Radio
- Dimensions: 154.2 x 76.4 x 7.4 mm
- Weight: 168.2 g
- Colors: Gold, Black, Rose Gold
- 3000mAh non-removable battery
Even though they share some internals, it can’t be said in terms of design. They look different from each other, especially in the position of the cameras and shapre of the body. Dimension-wise, they are not far off either. But when it comes to weight, the S9 is heavier by 20 grams – without any good reason as the battery capacity was kept at 3000mAh. It would have been great if Gionee bumped the processor or battery instead of retaining them.
The Gionee S9 is now available for pre-order in China and it will be released starting November 25. It’s priced at CNY 2,499 (~$369) or approximately Php18,000.