Nubia’s gaming line launched a new smartphone with the Red Magic 6S Pro.
The Nubia Red Magic 6S Pro features the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 Plus processor that boasts a Cortex-X1 core clocked at 2.9GHz. That’s the same chip found on the ROG Phone 5s and 5s Pro.
To keep it cool, the company developed the new ICE 7.0 cooling system that adds Phase Change Materials (PCM) from its existing cooling technology. Apparently, it works by storing the generated heat then releasing it gradually to prevent thermal spikes.
The cooling fan of the 6 Pro is still here, which spins at 20,000rpm. As a bonus, the fan is lit up with four RGB lights if you get the transparent version.
Another key highlight here is the fast display. The large 6.8-inch AMOLED screen has an ultra-responsive 720Hz touch sampling with a 165Hz refresh rate that also switches to 60Hz, 90Hz, and 120Hz for better efficiency.
Being a gaming phone, the Red Magic 6S Pro has shoulder triggers on each side with a higher 450Hz touch sampling rate. Nubia also added a new trigger on the back that you can swipe. Albeit, the triggers, and the maximum refresh rate, only support a select number of games.
The Red Magic 6S Pro also has one cool trick up its sleeve. There’s the under-display fingerprint scanner that also comes with a heart rate sensor. But unlike the one found on your smartwatch, this one is not for health/activity tracking, but for extra security so it knows that it’s detecting an actual fingerprint.
Battery capacity and charging speed will depend on where you’re getting the device. Those who are in China can enjoy an ultra-fast 120W charger but only a 4,500mAh battery. The Global variant has a larger 5,050mAh capacity, but only a 66W charging support. What’s worse, it will only ship with a 30W charger.
Speaking of charging, the USB Type-C port has 3.0 speeds and has DisplayPort support if you want to plug it on an external monitor or TV.
As for the least interesting parts (at least for this device), the 6S Pro has a 64-megapixel main camera, 8-megapixel ultra-wide, and an Android 11-based RedMagic OS 4.0.
The Red Magic 6S Pro has a price of USD599 (around Php29,900) for the 12GB/128GB. The 16GB/256GB will come in two flavors: there’s the generic Cyborg Black color for USD699 (around Php34,900), while the special Ghost transparent edition will be at USD729 (around Php36,400). A White version is also available exclusively in China.
Nubia Red Magic 6S Pro Specs
- Android 11, RedMagic OS 4.0
- Dual SIM, Dual standby
- 6.8-inch FHD+ AMOLED screen, 2400 x 1080 pixel resolution, 387ppi
- 165Hz refresh rate, 720Hz touch sampling
- 8-bit, 100% DCI-P3
- Corning Gorilla Glass
- 3.0GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 Plus octa-core processor
- ICE7.0 cooling system, Cooling fans
- 12GB/16GB RAM
- Adreno 660 GPU
- 128GB/256GB UFS 3.1 internal storage, non-expandable
- 8-megapixel front camera
- 64-megapixel (f/1.8, PDAF) + 8-megapixel (ultra-wide) + 2-megapixel (macro) rear cameras, LED flash
- Under-display fingerprint scanner with heart-rate sensor
- 2x shoulder triggers (450Hz)
- Rear trigger (sliding)
- Stereo speakers
- Headphone jack
- HSPA+, 4G LTE, 5G
- WiFI 6, dual-band
- Bluetooth 5.2
- dual-band GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- USB Type-C 3.0 (DisplayPort support)
- Dimensions: 169.9 x 77.2 x 9.5mm
- Weight: 215g
- Colors: Cyborg Black, White, Ghost (Transparent w/ RGB fan)
- 5,050mAh battery, 66W charging support, 30W charger included (Global)
- 4,500mAh battery, 120W charging (China)