Finally, after weeks of leaks, Samsung has confirmed and announced the Galaxy Round! It’s about to go on sale tomorrow in South Korea. Unfortunately, there’s no word yet on when it’ll be available in the global market, and at what price.
Heck, even the Samsung Galaxy Round price in South Korea wasn’t revealed. However, they did release the specs of the device, and it looks really powerful.
Samsung Galaxy Round Specs
- 5.7” Full HD Super AMOLED curved display
- 7.9mm thick
- weighs 154g
- Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
- 2.3GHz quad-core processor
- 32GB internal storage, expandable via microSD (up to 64GB)
- 3GB RAM
- 13-megapixel rear camera, 2-megapixel front-facing camera
- 2800mAh battery.
Essentially, it’s a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with a curved display and no stylus. It even has that faux leather back. Having a curved display, it also comes with some additional features not found in other phones, like:
- Roll Effect – enables the user to check information such as the date, time, missed calls and battery easily when home screen is off by titlting the device
- Gravity Effect – used for visual interaction with the screen also by tilting the device
- Bounce UX – enables users to control their music. When the GALAXY ROUND’s display is off while the music player is running, a short press to the left of the device will play the previous track while a short press to the right will play the next track
- Side Mirror – enables users to gain access to list of the album content with a left and right tilt.
Of course, TouchWiz UI mainstays are here, such as One Hand operation, Multi-Window, etc.
The press release states that it’ll come in Luxury Brown, and more colors will be available soon.
While not the flexible phone we were hoping for, this is a start. That 2800mAh battery is worrisome, though. Would it be enough to last given the screen size and processor power? Also, the question in everyone’s mind: WHY?????? Then again, That’s what was in people’s minds when the first phablet came out. Could this be another smartphone sub-category in the making?
[Source: Samsung Tomorrow]