They may not be the biggest name in the mobile industry, but TCL is still out here making smartphones. If you want to try them out, you can check out the TCL 40R 5G, which is one of their entry-level offerings.
The TCL 40R 5G has all the specs and features we always see from an entry-level 5G-powered phone. Like a lot of devices of its kind, this one is also powered by a Dimensity 700 octa-core processor from MediaTek.
It then has a low-resolution HD+ screen, but it’s relatively large at 6.6-inches. The device even managed to have a high refresh rate at 90Hz.
A notch on top holds an acceptable 8-megapixel selfie camera. To compensate, it has an ultra-sharp 50-megapixel main shooter, albeit is only joined by two 2-megapixel sensors, no ultra-wide.
Like a lot of devices today, budget or not, the 40R 5G comes with a 5,000mAh battery with a decent 15W charger.
Software is then covered by an Android 12-based TCL UI 4.0
The TCL 40 5G is available in Europe for a price of EUR240 (around Php13,800). A couple of TCL phones are now available in the Philippines and we’re not sure yet if this one will also make it here.
TCL 40R Specs
- Android 12, TCL UI 4.0
- Dual SIM, Dual standby
- 6.6-inch HD+ IPS display, 1612 x 720 pixel resolution, 267ppi
- 90Hz refresh rate
- 2.2GHz MediaTek Dimensity 700 octa-core processor
- 4GB RAM
- Mali-G57 MC2 GPU
- 64GB/128GB internal storage, expandable via microSD
- 8-megapixel front camera
- 50-megapixel (f/1.8, PDAF) + 2-megapixel (macro) + 2-megapixel (depth sensor) rear cameras, LED flash
- Side-mounted fingerprint scanner, Face unlock
- Single loudspeaker
- Headphone jack
- HSPA+, 4G LTE, 5G
- WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth 5.1
- GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- FM Radio
- USB Type-C
- Dimensions: 164.5 x 75.4 x 9mm
- Weight: 192g
- Colors: Starlight Black, Stardust Purple
- 5,000mAh non-removable battery, 15W fast charging