Xiaomi has unveiled Xiaomi Mi 9 SE – the first smartphone in the world with the Snapdragon 712 chipset. The company’s CEO, Lei Jun, has managed to pull off a surprise by introducing the handset alongside the Xiaomi Mi 9.
Aside from the Snapdragon 712 that works with a generous 6GB of RAM and 64GB/128GB internal storage, Xiaomi Mi 9 SE brags a 48-megapixel triple rear camera with Sony IMX586 sensor, 13-megapixel ultra-wide lens, and an 8-megapixel telephoto camera.
This latest device also runs on Android 9 Pie, with Xiaomi’s MIUI 10 interface.
Other than the compromise on the chipset, the Mi 9 SE only comes with 5.97-inch AMOLED panel. It has a thicker bezel on the bottom and a waterdrop notch on top, too. On the other hand, the Xiaomi Mi 9 has a bigger 6.39-inch screen
On the upside, Xiaomi kept the in-display fingerprint scanner on this device. It also has a Corning Gorilla Glass 5, which is a welcome compromise to the Gorilla Glass 6 that its bigger brother have.
Due to its size, the handset only has a 3,070mAh battery that goes with a 18W charging technology. Unlike other smartphones, Xiaomi Mi 9 SE does not have a 3.5 mm audio jack, which means you’ll have to rely on wireless headphones or the USB port as well.
Xiaomi Mi SE 9 Specs
- Android 9 Pie, MIUI 10
- 5.97-inch FHD+ Super AMOLED display, 1080 x 2340 pixel resolution, ~432ppi
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- 2.3 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 712 Octa-core processor
- 6GB RAM
- Adreno 616
- 64GB/128GB UFS 2.1 internal storage
- 20-megapixel front camera, f/2.0
- 48-megapixel (f/1.8) + 12-megapixel (wide-angle) + 16-megapixel (telephoto, f/2.4) triple rear cameras
- 960fps slow-mo recording
- Face Unlock, In-display fingerprint scanner
- 4G LTE
- Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
- Bluetooth 5.0
- GPS, A-GPS, Galileo, GLONASS, Beidou
- USB Type-C
- Dimensions: 147.5 x 70.5 x 7.5 mm
- Weight: 155g
- Colors: Violet, Blue, Gray
- 3,070mAh battery w/ 18W fast charging
The Xiaomi Mi SE 9 is available in three colors: violet, gray, blue. It has a retail price of CNY1,999 (~Php15,500) for the 6GB/64GB variant, while the 6GB/128GB model is at CNY2,299 (~Php17,800). Its official release details here in the Philippines are yet to be announced so stay tuned for that.