In part two of its Mega event, Xiaomi finally introduced its first foldable phone, the Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold.
Unlike the prototype that we’ve seen from 2 years ago, it appears that Xiaomi went with a Galaxy Fold-like design for its first foldable phone. As you can see, the Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold has a 6.52-inch AMOLED outside screen with a slim 27:9 aspect ratio.
The main display is shown when you open the device like a book. On the inside, we have a tablet-like 8.01-inch OLED screen, with a 4:3 aspect ratio, QHD+ pixel resolution, but with a traditional 60Hz refresh rate.
This was made possible by Xiaomi’s own U-shaped hinge, which is 27% lighter than what other foldable phones have. Durability shouldn’t be a big deal as it was able to withstand 1 million bends in Xiaomi’s durability testing.
The Mi Mix Fold is also the first to come with Xiaomi’s own SurGe C1 image processor. It has 3A algorithms for Auto Focus, Auto Exposure, and Auto White Balance. All that while providing power efficiency.
It is also the first smartphone to have Liquid Lens technology. Essentially, instead of a large periscope-style lens, a transparent liquid fills up a flexible film, which can change shape, replicating a human eye. This enables the Mi Mix Fold’s optical zoom of 3x to 30x.
The main camera uses a 108-megapixel ISOCELL HM2 sensor, similar to what the Mi 11i have. Albeit, it lacks optical image stabilization (OIS) for some reason.
Another bizarre exclusion is wireless charging, but it does have the same 67W wired charger that its cousins have. Xiaomi had to split the 5,020mAh battery into two 2,460mAh cells for this to work.
Powering all that is a Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 octa-core processor, with a fast 3,200MHz LPDDR5 RAM and UFS 3.1 storage. You can get it with up to 16GB/512GB configuration.
To make sure it doesn’t run hot, the Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold has a Butterfly Cooling System, which cools the chipset, 5G antenna, and fast charging, all at the same time.
The Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold has a price of CNY9,999 (around Php73,800) for the 12GB/256GB variant, CNY10,999 (around Php81,200) for the 12GB/512GB, while the top-of-the-line 16GB/512GB model will be at CNY12,999 (around Php95,900). It’s now up for pre-order in China ad will ship on April 16. Meanwhile, its launch date in markets like the Philippines is yet to be known.
Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold Specs
- Android 10, MIUI 12
- Dual SIM, Dual standby
- 8.01-inch QHD+ foldable display, 2480 x 1080 pixel resolution, 387ppi, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, 900-nits peak
- 6.52-inch cover AMOLED display, 2520 x 840 pixel resolution, 90Hz refresh rate, Dolby Vision, 900-nits peak
- 2.84GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 octa-core processor
- Butterfly Cooling System
- 12GB/16GB 3200MHz LPDDR5 RAM
- Adreno 660 GPU
- 256GB/512GB internal storage, non-expandable
- 20-megapixel front camera
- 108-megapixel (HM2, f/1.8, dual pixel PDAF) + 13-megapixel (ultra-wide, f/2.4) + 8-megapixel (telephoto, liquid lens, 3x-30x optical zoom) rear cameras, LED flash
- 4x Harman Kardon-tuned stereo speakers
- Side-mounted fingerprint scanner
- HSPA+, 4G LTE, 5G
- WiFi 6
- GPS, tri-band A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC, BDS
- IR blaster
- USB Type-C
- Dimensions: 173.3 x 133.4 x 7.6mm (unfolded), 173.3 x 69.8 x 17.2mm (folded)
- Weight: 317g (glass), 332g (Ceramic)
- Colors: Black, Ceramic
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5, Ceramic, Aluminum frame
- 5,020mAh non-removable battery, 67W wired fast charging