ZTE just revealed the Axon 20 5G and it boasts one of the biggest advancements in the mobile industry.
As the title reads, the ZTE Axon 20 5G has the bragging right of being the first smartphone to have an under-display camera. Beating both Xiaomi and OPPO to the punch, who were the firsts to demo UD camera prototypes last year.
The initial prototypes of UD cameras were bombarded with lighting, color, and other related issues occurring to the images taken. To fix this, ZTE used a special film coating that’s transmissive and transparent.
This helps the Axon 20 5G hide its 32-megapixel selfie camera, which has its own light perception sensor. ZTE also reconfigured the pixel arrangement on the camera lens to match the display’s — a bit identical to Xiaomi’s method. Finally, a special processing algorithm optimizes the clarity of the image.
This results in a true all-screen display — no notches, punch-holes, or pop-up mechanisms.
Speaking of which, the aforementioned camera is hidden beneath the 6.92-inch OLED display, which has a fast 90Hz refresh rate, 10-bit color. and a tall 20:5:9 aspect ratio. ZTE also used a UD fingerprint scanner to complete the futuristic appeal.
The rest of the specs sheet is pretty standard for a top-end mid-range phone. It’s powered by a 5G-enabled Snapdragon 765G processor, with an option between 6GB/8GB RAM and 128GB/256GB of internal storage. There’s a quad-camera setup on the back, a 4,220mAh battery, and 30W fast charging. You can check the list of features below.
ZTE Axon 20 5G Specs
- Android 10, MiFavor 10.5
- Dual SIM, Dual standby
- 6.92-inch FHD+ OLED display, 2460 x 1080 pixel resolution, ~388 ppi
- 10-bit color, 90Hz refresh rate
- 2.4GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G octa-core processor
- 6GB/8GB RAM
- Adreno 620 GPU
- 128GB/256GB internal storage, expandable via microSD
- 32-megapixel under-display front camera
- 64-megapixel (f/1.8, PDAF) + 8-megapixel (f/2.2, ultra-wide) + 2-megapixel (macro) + 2-megapixel (depth sensor) rear cameras
- In-display fingerprint scanner, Face unlock
- 4G LTE, 5G
- WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- USB Type-C
- Dimensions: 172.1 x 77.9 x 8mm
- Weight: 198g
- Colors: Purple, Gold, Blue, Black
- 4,220mAh non-removable battery, 30W fast charging
The ZTE Axon 20 5G has an official price of CNY2,198 (around Php16,500) for the 6GB/128GB model, CNY2,498 (around Php17,800) for the 8GB/128GB, while the top-of-the-line 8GB/256GB variant will be at CNY2,798 (around Php19,900). It will be available in China starting September 10.