It’s been a long time coming, but the official Cherry Mobile Flare X Lollipop 5.1 update is finally here! It’s only available as a manual update though, so you’ll need to download and install it yourself. Still, if you’ve been eagerly waiting to upgrade your Flare X from KitKat 4.4 to Lollipop 5.1, your wait is finally over!
Please prepare the following before proceeding with the update
- Flare X running stock KitKat 4.4 with at least 50% battery
- formatted micro SD card with at least 8GB free
- MicroUSB cable
- Computer with Internet connection
If you’ve got everything ready, you may now proceed with updating your Flare X
- Download the Flare X update by clicking here.
- Insert your SD card into your Flare X.
- Copy the file named update.zip from your computer to your SD card via micro USB cable.
Follow these instructions carefully
- Do not unzip the file. Just copy and paste it to your SD card.
- Make sure that is the only .zip file that is on the SD card. A quick way to make sure of this is to format the SD card to erase all contents before copying the file over. You can also delete all folders and files on your SD card except the update.zip.
- Turn your Flare X off.
- Once your Flare X has been turned off, hold the power button + volume up for 5 seconds. The option to select boot mode will appear.
- To navigate, use volume up to scroll up and down and press volume down to confirm
- Select recovery and an android animation with an exclamation point will appear
- Press volume down + power on to proceed to the recovery process
- Press volume down to scroll up and down and choose to apply update from SD card, then press volume up.
- You will see another page and use power down to choose the update.zip and press power up to confirm
- You can now see the word install/ SD card and just wait for a few minutes while the system is installing the update
- Once the system is finished upgrading, you will see in the lower part of the screen “install from SD card complete”.
- Now will now see the android system recovery, Choose to reboot system now by pressing the volume up and once the system is done rebooting, you will now be able to enjoy your Flare X running Lollipop 5.1. You can also delete the update.zip once you are done.