It’s safe to say that Motorola hasn’t been coming up with great smartphones lately. Even before the Lenovo acquisition, this company has been struggling to make money in the smartphone business.
With the new Motorola P30, it feels like this brand has already reached rock-bottom. This device looks like if the iPhone X and the Huawei P20 Pro had a baby. However, it only has midrange-level specs.
The thick display notch and the dual camera orientation at the back are an obvious rip-off to Apple’s flagship smartphone. The notch houses a 12-megapixel camera, while on the back there’s a 16-megapixel + 5-megapixel setup.
Speaking of the notch, the Motorola P30 has a 6.2-inch FHD+ IPS screen. It has ultra-thin side bezels and the Motorola logo on the bottom that feels really out of place. The brand’s emblem on the fingerprint scanner at the back would have already sufficed, so we’re not sure of the point of putting one in front.
The Motorola P30 has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 that handles the hard work. There’s also a generous 6GB of RAM for multitasking and an option between 64GB and 128GB of storage.
It comes with a decent 3,000mAh battery, but with an impressive 18W fast charging capability. Motorola also borrowed Lenovo’s ZUI 4.0 interface that’s layering its Android 8.0 Oreo software.
Motorola P30 Specs
- Android 8.0 Oreo, ZUI 4.0
- Single/Dual SIM, Hybrid
- 6.2-inch FHD+ IPS display, 2246 x 1080 pixel resolution, ~402ppi
- 1.8GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 octa-core processor
- 6GB RAM
- Adreno 509 GPU
- 64GB/128GB internal storage, expandable via microSD up to 256GB
- 12-megapixel front camera, f/1.9
- 16-megapixel + 5-megapixel dual rear cameras, f/1.8, PDAF, LED flash
- Fingerprint scanner
- Splash resistant
- HSPA+, 4G LTE
- WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band
- Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- FM Radio
- USB Type-C
- Dimensions: 155.5 x 76 x 7.7mm
- Weight: 170g
- Colors: Aurora, Black, White
- 3,000mAh Li-Ion non-removable battery, 18W fast charging
The Motorola P30 has a price of CNY1,999 (~Php15,500)for the 64GB model. While the 128GB variant will be at CNY2,099 (~Php16,300). It will be available in China starting September 15.