The annual Google I/O conference just has its biggest one yet. This year, the company introduced a slew of new hardware, including its first foldable phone, the Google Pixel Fold.
Its layout is quite similar to the OPPO Find N2. The Google Pixel Fold has a compact 5.8-inch cover screen that uses an FHD+ OLED panel with a 120Hz refresh rate, 1,550-nits peak brightness, and Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection.
Of course, the highlight here is the large 7.6-inch foldable OLED panel, which has a 2208 x 1840 pixel resolution, 120Hz refresh rate, and Ultra Thin Glass protective layer. It also has HDR support. Google also boasts the hinge that offers “fluid friction” to support different postures.
Under the hood, it’s powered by the Google Tensor G2 — the same chip found on the Pixel 7, 7 Pro, and 7a. Made for multitasking, it comes with a large 12GB of RAM and an option between 256GB and 512GB of UFS 3.1 storage.
Both displays will get their own cameras. The cover screen has a 9.5-megapixel sensor while the one on the main has an 8-megapixel shooter.
We then have a 48-megapixel main camera on the back with a bright f/1.7 aperture and OIS. It is joined by a 10.8-megapixel 1/3-inch ultra-wide and another 10.8-megapixel sensor with a 5x optical zoom lens. Super Res Zoom is also here for up to 20x.
The battery is oddly small at 4,821mAh with a relatively slow 30W charging support. Of course, it ships with the latest Android 13 operating system.
There’s also a pair of speakers and a side-mounted fingerprint scanner that doubles as a lock/power switch.
The new Google Pixel Fold is now up for pre-order in the United States for a price of USD1,799 (~Php100,200) for the 12GB/256GB and USD1,919 (~Php106,900) for the 12GB/512GB. Hopefully, we’ll finally see Pixel devices officially available in the Philippines this year.
Google Pixel Fold Specs
- Android 13
- Dual SIM, Dual standby
- 7.6-inch OLED foldable display, 2208 x 1840 pixel resolution, 380ppi
- 120Hz refresh rate, Ultra-thin glass, 1450-nits peak brightness, HDR, 24-bit, 6:5 aspect ratio
- 5.8-inch cover OLED display, 2092 x 1080 pixel resolution, 408ppi
- 120Hz refresh rate, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus, HDR, 24-bit color, 17.4:9 aspect ratio
- Google Tensor G2 octa-core processor
- 12GB RAM
- Mali-G710 MP7 GPU
- 256GB/512GB internal storage, non-expandable
- Titan M2 security chip
- 9.5-megapixel cover display camera
- 8-megapixel main display camera
- 48-megapixel (f/1.7, Quad PD, OIS, CLAF, 1/2-inch) + 108-megapixel (ultra-wide) + 10.8-megapixel (5x telephoto, 20x Super Res Zoom) rear cameras, LED flash
- Side-mounted fingerprint scanner
- Stereo speakers
- WiFi 6e, dual-band
- Bluetooth 5.2
- GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS, dual-band GNSS
- USB Type-C
- Dimensions: 139.7 x 79.5 x 12.1mm (folded), 139.7 x 158.7 x 5.8mm (unfolded)
- Weight: 283g
- Color: Obsidian, Porcelain
- 4,812mAh non-removable battery, 30W fast charging