Huawei is among the firsts to officially introduce a market-ready foldable phone. Everyone, meet the new Huawei Mate X.
Being a member of the company’s Mate series, the Huawei Mate X is expected to be a productivity-focused smartphone. Which is unsurprising considering its large, flexy display.
Unlike what Samsung did on the Galaxy Fold, the Mate X has a giant 8-inch AMOLED screen. Folding it in half gives you a 6.6-inch display on the front, and another 6.4-inch screen on the back.
The device doesn’t have a dedicated front-facing camera. So to take selfies, you have to use its primary shooters, and the display on the back as a viewfinder. This allows you to take really great self-portraits.
Speaking of which, the Huawei Mate X has an identical camera configuration that the Mate 20 Pro has. There’s a 40-megapixel primary shooter, a 16-megapixel wide-angle lens, and an 8-megapixel telephoto sensor.
Another key feature of this device is its Balong 5000 5G Modem, making it the first foldable smartphone to sport 5G connectivity.
Huawei even added a 4,500mAh battery, which recharges via a whopping 55W charger. It’s expected to be the fastest there yet as the current title-holder, OPPO’s SuperVOOC technology is only at 50W. Huawei claims that a 30-minute charge can already provide an 85% of charge.
Huawei Mate X Specs
- Android 9 Pie, EMUI 9.1.1
- Dual SIM, hybrid
- 8.0-inch AMOLED display, 2480 x 2200 pixel resolution, ~414ppi (unfolded)
- 6.6-inch AMOLED display, 2480 x 1148 pixel resolution, ~414ppi (folded, front)
- 6.4-inch AMOLED display, 2480 x 892 pixel resolution, ~427ppi (folded, back)
- 2.6GHz Kirin 980 octa-core processor
- 8GB RAM
- Mali-G76 GPU
- 512GB internal storage, expandable via NM card up to 256GB
- 40-megapixel + 16-megapixel (ultra wide) + 8-megapixel (telephoto) triple cameras
- Face Unlock, Side-mounted fingerprint scanner
- Balong 5000 5G modem
- 4G LTE
- WiFI 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band
- Bluetooth 5.0
- USB Type-C
- GPS dual-band, A-GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Galileo dual-band, QZSS dual-band
- Dimensions: 161.3 x 78.3 (folded) / 146.2mm (unfolded) x 11mm
- Weight: 295g
- Color: Interstellar Blue
- 4,500mAh non-removable battery, 55W Huawei SuperCharge
The Huawei Mate X will launch sometime in Q2 or Q3 of this year. It will have a retails price of EUR2,299, which is at around ~Php135,700 when directly converted to Philippine pesos.