Apple has finally introduced a refresh to its professional desktop line, the Apple Mac Pro 2019. Come along with it is an equally extravagant Apple Pro Display XDR monitor.
Let’s start with the beast machine first. The Apple Mac Pro 2019, as ironic as it may sound, is a Mac that’s made to be extremely modular, which allows users for after-sales expansion and configurability.
It can be rigged with up to a 28-core Intel Xeon W processor, up to a whopping 1.5TB memory, AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, and 4TB of SSD storage. Its strong processor and graphics performance can easily handle 3D film assets, 8K clips, and 3D environments without breaking a sweat.
Also, the new Apple Afterburner accelerator card is perfect for video editors as it can decode up to three streams of 8K ProRes RAW and 12 streams of 4K ProRes RAW in real time.
In terms of design, the Apple Mac Pro 2019 was clearly designed with performance in mind. It’s built on a stainless steel frame that also acts as a handle, so you can easily transport the machine. You can also get it with wheels on the feet.
The cheese grater look on the front, which Apple calls as “lattice pattern” shall help improve airflow. Plus, there’s a latch on the top that lets you easily unlock and lift up the entire cover to access the internals.
The new Apple Mac Pro 2019 will be available before the year ends. It will have a starting price of USD5,999 (~Php310,900).
Apple Mac Pro 2019 Specs
- 3.5GHz Intel Xeon W 8-core processor, up to 4GHz, 24.5MB cache
- 3.3GHz Intel Xeon W 12-core processor, up to 4.4GHz, 31.25MB cache
- 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-core processor, up to 4.4GHz, 38MB cache
- 2.7GHz Intel Xeon W 24-core processor, up to 4.4GHz, 57MB cache
- 2.5GHz Intel Xeon W 28-core processor, up to 4.4GHz, 66.5MB cache
- 32GB/48GB/96GB/192GB/384GB/768GB/1.5TB RAM
- AMD Radeon Pro 580X / AMD Radeon Pro Vega II / AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo
- 256GB/1TB/2TB/4TB SSD storage
- 8X PCI-e expansion slots
- Apple Afterburner ProRes and ProRes RAW accelerator card
- Built-in speaker, Headphone jack
- WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Bluetooth 5.0
- 2x USB 3 ports, 2x Thunderbolt 3 ports, 2x 10GB Ethernet ports
- 2x Thunderbolt 3 ports (tower enclosure)
- Dimensions: 20.8 x 17.7 x 8.58-inches
- Weight: 18kg
- 1.4kW power supply
Next stop, we have the Apple Pro Display XDR, with the XDR translates to Extreme Dynamic Range. As per Apple, this is a great companion to the Mac Pro 2019 and for all content creators.
This 32-inch monitor features a 6K Retina display, with all the display features you’d expect for a creative-centric display. There’s the wide P3 color gamut, 10-bit depth, and a peak brightness of 1600 nits. It has a 16:9 aspect ratio and a 6,016 x 3384 pixel resolution.
It also has that cheese grater design on the back, which shall also improve the overall thermals on this device. That’s really important considering the millions of pixels that it’s powering.
Apple Pro Display XDR Specs
- 32-inch IPS LCD display
- 6016 x 3384 pixel resolution, ~218ppi
- 1000nits sustained, 1600nits peak brightness
- P3 wide color gamut, 10-bit
- 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio
- 2D backlighting system, 576 local dimming zones
- up to 60Hz refresh rate
- 28.3 x 16.2 x 1.1-inches
- Weight: 7.48kg
Probably the most bizarre thing about the Pro Display XDR is the price. The monitor itself retails for USD4,999 (~Php259,00), and that doesn’t even come with a stand. Apple’s over-engineered stand retails for USD999 (~Php51,700) while a VESA mount adapter is at USD199 (~Php10,300).