Since the Galaxy Note 7 fiasco, smartphones suddenly exploding are not brand new news. However, it’s still important to look at such cases, whether they’re isolated or not, so we can learn something about them as such cases can cause safety issues.

Most cases happen when the device is charging. However, this latest incident involving a OnePlus Nord 2 5G was not plugged in and is actually being used while the owner is on the go.


The story says that a man named Ankur Sharma got the brand new device as a gift from his wife. Less than a week after the purchase, the missus placed the device on a sling and went for a bike ride. Sharma’s wife was shocked to hear a loud noise, which apparently was the Nord 2 5G’s battery exploding.

Sharma’s wife experienced a physical injury as the surprise from the explosion knocked her off the bike. She also claims that the incident traumatized her.


To gain OnePlus’s attention, the owner posted the incident to Twitter and shared images of the completely burnt smartphone. The screen has popped out the chassis and the back clearly shows signs of an explosion.

OnePlus has responded to Ankur saying:

Hi Ankur. We are gutted to hear about your experience. We are deeply concerned and want to make it up to you. We request you to connect to us over a direct message so that we can make amends and turn this around for you.

OnePlus response to Ankur Sharma | Twitter

It looks like OnePlus and Sharma have reached an agreement to settle the case as the posts have been taken down since then.



It’s said that OnePlus is already investigating the incident. Since we haven’t heard anyone reporting a similar incident, this may have been an isolated case.

Via: WCCFtech

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *