Huawei has finally introduced its first clamshell foldable phone, the Huawei P50 Pocket.
The Huawei P50 Pocket comes out after three generations of the Mate X. Like how the Galaxy Z Flip is to the Fold, the Pocket offers a more compact and chic design than the larger and practical Mate X series.
This one boasts a tall 6.9-inch display with a 21:9 aspect ratio. It uses a fancy panel that comes with OLED technology and a fast 120Hz refresh rate. A punch-hole is sitting on the top for the selfie camera.
One of its key highlights is the small 1-inch screen on the cover. It has a circular shape, symmetrical to the camera glass, matching Huawei’s latest design language that we saw on the P50 and P50 Pro.
This screen can display a lot of information, other than just the time and notification. It supports widgets for apps like music players, QR codes, and more with a dedicated layout for its shape. You can also use it as a viewfinder so you can take selfies and group shots with its impressive main cameras.
Speaking of which, it boasts a 40-megapixel main shooter, 13-megapixel ultra-wide, and a 32-megapixel ultra spectrum camera that’s said to offer better color rendering.
As for how it folds, Huawei used a special, patented hinge mechanism, which also boasts zero gaps when closed. And to achieve that cool-looking outer shell, the P50 Pocket uses a custom-made 3D structured glass layout.
This cool hardware is paired with a flagship, albeit non-5G hardware. It boasts a Snapdragon 888 4G chip, 40W fast charging, a decent 4,000mAh battery, and runs on the brand’s HarmonyOS.
The Huawei P50 Pocket has a starting price of CNY8,988 (around Php70,600) for the 8GB/256GB model, while the 12GB/512GB variant with a special edition gold color comes in at CNY10,988 (around Php86,300). They are now available in China while release details in other markets like the Philippines are yet to be announced.
Huawei P50 Pocket Specs
- HarmonsOS 2.0 / EMUI 12
- Dual SIM, Dual standby, Hybrid
- 6.9-inch FHD+ foldable OLED display, 2790 x 1188 pixel resolution, 442ppi
- 120Hz refresh rate
- 1.04-inch cover OLED display, 340 x 340 pixel resolution, 328ppi
- 2.84GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 4G octa-core processor
- 8GB/12GB RAM
- Adreno 660 GPU
- 256GB/512GB internal storage, expandable via NM card
- 10.7-megapixel front camera
- 40-megapixel (f/1.8, PDAF) + 13-megapixel (ultra-wide) + 32-megapixel (ultra spectrum) rear cameras, LED flash
- Side-mounted fingerprint scanner, Face unlock
- HSPA+, 4G LTE
- WiFi 6, dual-band
- Bluetooth 5.2
- GPS, A-GPS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC, BDS
- USB Type-C
- Dimensions: 170 x 75.5 x 7.2 mm (unfolded), 87.3 x 75.5 x 15.2 mm (folded)
- Weight: 190g
- Colors: Gold, Whilte, Black
- 4,000mAh non-removable battery, 40W wired fast charging, 5W reverse charging