OnePlus has officially unveiled its surprising mid-cycle release – the OnePlus 3T.
It’s not exactly surprising in the sense that we haven’t heard about it, but rather that it’s not on their typical release schedule. And this one’s isn’t an entirely new phone, but an upgrade to the existing OnePlus 3.
OnePlus has used the same aluminum metal body with unsightly antenna bands in the 3T and improved some of its internals. For instance, the chipset has been upgraded to a Snapdragon 821 – a step up from the 820 of the original. There’s still 6GB of RAM while the storage options are either UFS 2.0 64GB or 128GB.
On the camera side of things, not much has changed. It seems like it’s the same sensor as the previous generation but now with the added protection of a sapphire crystal cover. On the other side, it’s a different story. The front camera is now a Samsung-made sensor with double the resolution, now with 16-megapixels. Pixel size has been slimmed down to 1.0nm and the aperture stays the same at f/2.0.
OnePlus 3T Specs
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow, Oxygen OS
- Dual-SIM, Dual Standby (nano)
- 5.5-inch Full HD Optic AMOLED display, 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution, ~401ppi
- 2.35GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 quad-core processor
- Adreno 530 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4 RAM
- 64GB, 128GB UFS 2.0 internal storage, no expansion
- 4G LTE Cat.6
- WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- 16-megapixel Sony IMX298 rear camera with phase detection autofocus, EIS, LED flash
- 16-megapixel Samsung 3P8SP front camera with PDAF and Elecronic Image Stabilization
- 4K video recording
- Dirac HD Sound
- Bluetooth 4.2
- USB Type-C
- Fingerprint sensor
- GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou
- Dimensions: 152.7 x 74.7 x 7.35 mm
- Weight: 158 g
- 3400mAh non-removable battery
Arguably the most important bump in specs here is the battery. Up by 400mAh, the OnePlus 3T now has a total of 3400mAh capacity with 20W DashCharge fast charging support. Contrary to previous rumors, it will not ship with Nougat out of the box. Instead, it’ll be running in Android Marshmallow for a while.
OnePlus 3T price starts at $439 for the base 64GB model while the 128GB variant costs $479. It will be available in beginning November 22 in two colors: gun metal and soft gold. No word yet on availability in other countries.