Besides the new Mi 8 Lite, Xiaomi also launched the new Mi 8 Pro. These two new smartphones expand the company’s flagship line-up, which almost covers each price segments in the market.
The Xiaomi Mi 8 Pro appears to be a slightly modified version of the Mi 8 Explorer, which could possibly mean that it will finally hit the global market.
In contrast to the Explorer Edition, the Mi 8 Pro will come in two new gradient color options, apart from the see-through back panel that the former has.
Xiaomi also downgraded the 3D Face Unlock with an IR-enabled one. But on the upside, Xiaomi claims that it’s the first device to come with a pressure-sensitive in-display fingerprint scanner. This could provide a more natural experience and eliminates accidental presses.
As for the specs, the Xiaomi Mi 8 Pro still flags a 6.21-inch FHD+ OLED screen, complete with a thick notch on top. It also runs on the flagship Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor, an option between 6GB and 8GB of RAM, and 128GB of storage.
Being a member of their flagship line-up, Xiaomi also added their dual-frequency GPS technology on the Mi 8 Pro. It’s then powered by a 3,000mAh battery with Quick Charge 4.0+ support.
Xiaomi Mi 8 Pro Specs
- Android 8.1 Oreo, MIUI
- Dual SIM, Dual Standby
- 6.21-inch FHD+ Super AMOLED display, 2248 x 1080 pixel resolution, ~402ppi
- DCI-P3 color gamut
- 2.8GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 octa-core processor
- 6GB/8GB LPDDR4x RAM
- Adreno 630 GPU
- 128GB UFS internal storage, non-expandable
- 20-megapixel front camera
- 12-megapixel (wide, f/1.8) + 12-megapixel (telephoto, f/2.4) 4-axis OIS, LED flash
- Pressure sensitive in-display fingerprint scanner, Infrared face unlock
- HSPA+, 4G LTE, VoLTE
- WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band 4×4 MIMO
- Bluetooth 5.0
- GPS, Galileo, QZSS, GLONASS, Beidou
- USB Type-C
- Dimensions: 154.9 x 74.8 x 7.6mm
- Weight: 177g
- 3,000mAh non-removable battery, Quick Charge 4.0+
The Xiaomi Mi 8 Pro will arrive at a price of CNY3,200 (~Php25,200) for the 6GB/128GB model, while the 8GB/128GB variant will cost you around CNY3,600 (~Php28,400). It will hit pre-order status starting September 19 in China and will ship immediately on the 21st.
The availability dates outside China, especially in the Philippines, are yet to be announced.