After running around the rumor mill for so long, the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip has been finally made official.
Launched alongside the Galaxy S20 series, the Samsung Galaxy Z Flipis a modern foldable phone. Think of it as Samsung’s take on the new Motorola Razr 2019 — but with more powerful hardware on the inside.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip comes with an enormous 6.7-inch FHD+ Dynamic AMOLED screen. You can close it like a regular clamshell phone to make it much smaller and pocketable.
The device also comes with a secondary 1.1-inch Super AMOLED display on the back. So you don’t have to always flip it up every time you receive notifications, calls, and whatnot.
The extra screen is sitting in the 12-megapixel primary and 12-megapixel ultra-wide cameras on the back. You can use the display as a viewfinder in case you opt to use any of the rear cameras to take selfies, instead of the 10-megapixel sensor on the front.
Now that we know it looks cool and futuristic, what does this device has in store for us? For starters, the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip is powered by a flagship-level Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Plus octa-core processor, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB of internal storage.
As per Samsung, the hinge on the back is more durable. The top and bottom panel will automatically hide the hinge every time you flip it open.
To achieve its design, Samsung had to split the 3,300mAh battery into two. One on the top, one on the bottom. That capacity is lower in today’s standards, especially when you compare it to the Galaxy S20 Ultra. But that’s just something we have to deal with to gain that unique design.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip has a retail price of Php79,990 here in the Philippines. You can get it in Mirror Black or Mirror Purple starting February 21, 2020.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip Specs
- Android 10, Samsung One UI 2.0
- Nano SIM + eSIM
- 6.7-inch FHD+ Dynamic AMOLED Infinity Flex display, 2636 x 1080 pixel resolution, ~425ppi
- 1.1-inch Super AMOLED secondary display, 300 x 112 pixel resolution, ~303ppi
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Plus octa-core processor
- 8GB RAM
- 256GB internal storage
- 10-megapixel front camera
- 12-megapixel (Dual-pixel AF, OIS, f/1.8) + 12-megapixel (ultra-wide) rear cameras
- Side-mounted fingerprint scanner
- Single loud speaker
- 4G LTE
- WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band
- Bluetooth 5.0
- USB Type-C
- ANT+, NFC
- GPS, Galileo, GLONASS, BDS
- Dimensions: 167.3 x 73.6 x 7.2mm (unfolded), 87.4 x 73.6 x 17.3mm (folded)
- Weight: 183g
- 3,300mAh dual battery, Fast charging, Wireless PowerShare