Solar power began to become a viable source for electricity generation around 1954 when Bell Labs developed the first Silicon Photovoltaic Cell. These early solar cells were inefficient, converting just 4% of the sun’s rays into electricity.
Since then, solar panel technology has improved dramatically, and today, solar panels can convert upwards of 20% of the sun’s energy into electricity. Solar power is becoming increasingly cost-effective and efficient, making it a viable option for powering homes, businesses, and even vehicles.
Solar energy is an abundant source of renewable energy that does not emit carbon dioxide when compared to fossil fuels. Solar energy is clean, safe, and free. There are many different ways to harness solar energy, including solar thermal power, concentrated solar power, and photovoltaics.
READ: What are the disadvantages of using solar panels at home?
- Philippines will be the home of the world’s largest solar power facility
- Why is your MERALCO bill higher than usual?
- MERALCO mobile app: how to check electricity usage online
How does it work? Solar panels converts sunlight into electrical energy using PV panels or mirrors that focus light onto a receiver. The energy produced can then be used to produce electricity or be stored in rechargeable batteries or thermal storage.
As long as you have sunlight, you can generate electricity. No matter where you live, you can still benefit from this technology as long as you have the necessary equipment.
The following are some of the benefits of installing solar panels at your home:
- It can save you money. Since solar power is free, you don’t have to pay as much in electricity bills. This means that you can save up to 50% of your current utility bill, depending on your setup. However, take note that there’s a significant investment involved to get started.
- It is environment-friendly. When compared to other forms of energy production, solar panels are much more eco-friendly. They do not emit harmful gases like coal-fired plants and nuclear reactors, which pollute the air we breathe. This means they help protect our planet from climate change.
- It doesn’t need a lot of space for basic usage. If you install solar panels in your home, you won’t need to build additional rooms just for them. You can simply place the panels anywhere where there is enough sunlight, which is usually on the roof.
- Solar panels have minimal maintenance costs and they last a long time. But if you use a battery, it needs replacement every once in a while when it no longer holds much power.
- It can provide a source of income. Unlike traditional power costs, solar energy doesn’t fluctuate in price. So, if you decide to sell the excess energy back to the grid, you will receive a good amount if your production is more than your needs.
Thanks for emphasizing how solar panels can generate electricity as long as you have sunlight regardless of where you live. My mom’s thinking of converting our entire house’s power source with solar energy solutions. I love that it’s cost-effective and environmentally friendly at the same time.